Matriarchal Ways

Grandma’s visit flew by quickly. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and Michael made a great impression on her. Mom loved it up until they had a good ol’ mother-daughter bickering. Those are always more fun to see than they are to be a part of.

She came with a two cases of wine and two bottles of Vermont maple syrup. The syrup will last a year or two, and the wine…well, I’ll have to get back to you on that. When you’re with Grandma, most any occasion is a wine occasion. Half the supply of white that she brought is gone!

We all enjoyed a great dinner at an Italian place, and afterward had coffee. I must say (to all of you who either sick of hearing it or just plain don’t give a damn) that Michael was looking particularly handsome in his shirt, tie, etc. drinking a cup of coffee. If this is what the future looks like, I’m game.

Michael was amazing enough to drive us to Charleston for the day with Grandma in the front seat. Mom and I are were in the back. We saw some good historical points of the city because G-ma is a history buff. I didn’t spend much money. I bought a photo at the slave market of the Cooper River Bridge at sunset with the bridge lights lit, which I adore.

Halfway into the week, our vacuum’s belt decides to get stuck in the motor and melt, filling the whole house with an unpleasant burning smell. This is moments after mom mopped the floor to clean up after the 4th of July party saying something along the lines of “I love the smell of a clean home.” The vacuum is between 10 and 15 years old, so they stopped making belts for it. We bought the closest size to it per the vacuum store man’s recommendation and I, apparently, broke a very small piece of plastic that holds the vacuum upright. Fantastic. Time for a new vacuum!

Meanwhile, a bolt that holds the tank of the toilet in the main bathroom onto the base broke and tank water rushed onto the floor of the bathroom. I’m sure it’s the same toilet that has been there since the house was built 20 or so years ago. This means in addition to the broken vacuum I had a broken toilet. Nice.

We bought a new toilet, and with the help of Michael at an early hour of the morning we installed the damned thing ourselves.

I am extremely pleased with the work we’ve done. And it saves water whoo!
Mom on the other hand, though happy about the new thing, has succumbed to paranoia and decided that the AC unit will be the next thing to go. It was 100 degrees outside today and a stuffy 85 degrees in my house so that we could baby the AC a little and give it time to rest.

The moral of this story is that Michael has earned the stamp of approval by the Matriarch. Booyah.

 

Peace, Love, and Pudd’n Pops

0 comments:

Post a Comment