Your views on religion.
My views on religion are simple. Be what you wish, but please just let me be what I am. I do not like when people openly exercise their religion, but then condemn others for practicing theirs.
I am sort of Catholic. At least I was told my family was Catholic growing up. Honestly, I have never been terribly interested in pursuing a particular faith, mostly because I have never been a fan of the texts of faiths. I really do think that's what it is. The bible does not interest me. It actually turns me off to religion. Is it because I do not want to be restricted to religious rules like a handbook of conduct? Who knows. I know there are lessons in every religious text. Wise lessons, I'm sure. It just pushes me away. I would love to meet the Pope though. I have a great amount of respect for the man. I would like to meet a religious figurehead of every faith (though the Pope is at the top of the list).
Anyway. I love religion. I love that there are so many people who feel so strongly about so many things. I love how all of our stories have many of the same characters (Jesus being a common theme in major religious texts). I love how people are proud to live their lives by the creed devote themselves to this. I love how even if we feel this particular way, we are all, ideally, supposed to live our lives the exact same way. With humility, with charity, with love. Love.
I love how myself, a Christian, can have an open and understand discussion about God with Duha, a Muslim. I love how she can walk into a church and be welcomed with open arms, and I to mosque on Eid and be welcomed with Asalaamu alaykum graciously.
If we take the time to get to know one another, to recognize our differences and similarities, and embrace one another for those things then in all actuality we would be putting into practice what our religious texts and leaders instruct us to do. Think about it.
1 comments:
I get smarter every time I read one of your posts.
"Be what you wish, but please just let me be what I am." --Yes, please.
Post a Comment