Habibi

Arab-night is the best. Hands down.
Friday, a mutual friend of Michael and myself invited us downtown to a get-together some friends of ours were having. We were the token white people in a small apartment full of arab men and women. The party was thrown by Ahmed and Nadia, a couple that we know pretty well, and in attendance were ourselves, our good lady friend, a girl we'd never met from the next building over, and some guys that we had met before but not known very well. We had two hookahs smoking with orange and mint in them. We passed around hoses and ate spinach that was wrapped in dough and baked in bread with lemon juice. Ahmed had the grill going outside, and Nadia ran around like a chicken with her head cut off carrying cooked and uncooked foods to be put in particular places. When dinner was ready, we dug into babaganouj, Damascus bread, grape leaves, spinach pastries, chicken kabobs, salad, and beef kabobs. Michael and I ate ourselves stupid, taking in the sights, sounds, and smells in the room that remind us of family.
After dinner, we all puffed happily on sheesha while the girl we'd never met went on floating from person to person, having intoxicated conversations. She was the only person there drinking. In fact, she was the only one that drinks much, and it showed. I'm not saying it was a bad thing, I mean to each his own, but she was a little obnoxious at times. Anywho, after dinner we continued smoking and eating sweet treats while we played a game of good 'ol charades. It's funny how you can have good clean fun with your friends without the use of drugs or alcohol or those things that so many other people my age feel are necessary to have a good time. We played charades for what I think was two hours, until we just couldn't do it anymore.
We will have to do it again soon, before the boys leave for Saudi and Oman permanently and we will never get to see them again.
So, a couple of friends of Michaels, whom I was friends with in high school but did not want to be friends with them during college, contacted me the other day to patch things up. I was quite honest, and I said I was not interested. They pursued the matter, asking for reasons, and I could not lie. I gave them every good reason I had for not wanted to associate with them anymore. They tried to turn it around, claiming that I have myself wrong and that I do not know myself as well as I should and other things like that. I said something something, they said something something. They threw out the claim that I only dislike them for their friendship with Michael, and I cannot come close to what they have. Trust me, I stayed civil even after all of that, though I found it hilarious. In the end, I offered to keep going the way things were before, civil and avoiding, for the sake of poor Michael who had been caught in the middle. They aren't interested haha. No skin off my back, because contrary to what they think, I do have real friends (they think if someone isn't friends with them, they don't have real friends), and they are fantastic. See awesome Arab dinner, above. All of that is said and done now. 

Anyway, I will be doing this: http://f0x.tumblr.com/post/1513434733/im-doing-this with Sjaan and Jenn. So be prepared for your dashboards to blow up.

Peace, Love, and Pudd'n Pops

0 comments:

Post a Comment